While traditional 'appointment' viewing on a big TV screen still predominates in the US, it's clear that viewing TV shows online is growing. In fact, according to a report put out in June, 2012 by the Coalition for Media Measurement, online video boosts TV viewing. Here are the stats in a little more detail.
IVA clients handling TV previews can see the interest in online consumption growing on a daily basis. That's one of the reasons IVA has been so aggressive in the past 18 months in expanding the number of previews we have for TV content.
- 12% of TV audiences are reached via online video
- 17% of viewers are 'multi-screen' - and that number is growing steadily
- Among young adults, sports fans, and news consumers multi-screen behavior hits 30%
- 11% of audience are digital only - and that number is growing
- Online viewers consume 25% more minutes of TV than the overall TV audience